Welcome! On this page you will find our farm journey and Blog.
Happy New Year!
I am not a superstitious person in general but I can’t pass up an opportunity to eat some good pork on a cold day. My go to New Years Day meal is simple but satisfying and good any cold winter day!
Ham, Black eye peas & Cabbage Stew
2 Tbs Rocky ridge farm Lard
1 package of Rocky Ridge Farm Ham Steaks chopped into ½” cubes
1 whole Large onion
2 cups shredded cabbage
3 cloves garlic
3-4 bay leaves
2-3 tsps dried thyme
½ - 1 tsp dried red pepper flakes depending on how much spice you like..
2/3 cup dry white wine
3 cups frozen or canned black eyed peas, rinse if using canned
6 cups Rocky Ridge Farm Ham stock or chicken stock
Salt and pepper to tasted
3 tbs Butter
3 tbs flour.
1 . Add 2 TBS Lard to a large deep stock pot add the cubed Ham steak and cook until it starts to brown and smells fragrant.
2. Add onions to skillet and cook 3-5 minutes until starting to soften and turn translucent add lard as necessary to keep from sticking.
3. Add Garlic, bay leaves, thyme, red pepper flakes and shredded cabbage. Cook a little longer until cabbage is slightly wilted.
4. Pour white wine in and scrape up all the browned bits from the bottom on the pot.
5. Add in the black eye peas and enough stock to just cover all the ingredients
6. Simmer for 30-45 minutes until cabbage is tender and beans are flavorful.
7. To finish salt and pepper to taste. If you like a thicker stew at this point you can make roux and add it to the simmering stew until the desired thickness is achieved.
Serve with your favorite corn bread!